When you are in the market for a home, finding the right house is just as important as determining the right location. The A.D. Hays Group is here to help with a guide to neighborhoods in Minneapolis and the surrounding areas. Contact us today if you find a neighborhood that feels like home or even to talk through the best options for your situation!
Kingfield Neighborhood – Minneapolis, Minnesota
A bustling neighborhood just south of Uptown, Kingfield is largely a residential area of single-family houses with some multiple unit residences and apartment buildings. Its boundaries are 36th Street to the north, Interstate 35W to the east, 46th Street to the south, and Lyndale Avenue to the west. Kingfield offers easy access to some of the most exciting parts of Minneapolis, including the Chain of Lakes and Uptown, while retaining a residential feel that caters to families and single individuals alike.
Three-fourths of Kingfield’s single-family houses were built before the year 1920. Throughout the neighborhood you’ll find home types such as bungalows, prairie-style, arts and crafts and other period-revival styles. Pre-war apartment buildings can also be found throughout Kingfield. Additionally, there are also modern houses popping up as these older properties begin to show their age.
Rent vs. Own:
65% of properties in Kingfield are owned and 35% are rented.
As of January 2018, the median value of a home in the Kingfield neighborhood is $339K (compared to $260K Minneapolis median), while the median list price is $322K (compared to $285K over the Minneapolis median). Over the past 12 months, the estimated home value grew by 11.8% in Kingfield.
7,850 Minneapolis residents call the Kingfield neighborhood their home. The unique neighborhood is growing in popularity and has seen a population increase of 4.3% since 2010.
There are many schools accessible to the Kingfield neighborhood, both public and private.
- Burroughs Elementary School (K-5)
- Field Elementary School (5-8)
- Washburn Senior High School (9-12)
- Armatage Elementary School (PK, K-5)
- Hale Elementary School (K-4)
- Lake Country Montessori School (K-8)
- Pilgrim Lutheran School (K-8)
- San Miguel Middle School (5-8)
About Minneapolis Public School District:
The Minneapolis Public School District serves approximately 36,000 students in public primary and secondary schools. The district oversees about 100 schools, including 45 elementary schools, seven middle schools and seven high schools.
The Kingfield neighborhood is a very friendly place to walk or ride a bike. With plenty of recreational paths winding around the lakes and through the many parks, as well as major bike paths along streets like Bryant, residents can enjoy getting around without a car.
However, most of the population commutes to and from work in a vehicle – the average commute time for most residents in the area is between 15-30 minutes.
With the many local shopping, dining and recreational opportunities, you won’t need to go far to find entertainment. Additionally, if you ever get bored of the immediate options, it’s fewer than two miles from Uptown and about five miles to downtown Minneapolis, providing easy access to residents in Kingfield.
Restaurants, Shopping and Recreation:
Located directly in southwest Minneapolis, Kingfield has plenty to offer in terms of dining, shopping and recreation. Below are a few of the more popular options.
- Gigi’s Cafe – A coffee shop by day, dinner joint at night, Gigi’s is a local favorite for everything from coffee and breakfast to dinner and wine.
- Our Kitchen – The best place in the neighborhood for breakfast is Our Kitchen on 36th street. This cozy diner seats only about 20 people inside and a few extra outside in the warmer months, so get there early!
- Harriet’s Inn – Although a newer addition to the neighborhood, this classic pub serves up its own version of the Juicy Lucy and a wide selection of beer choices. Whether you’re looking for weekend brunch or an enticing happy hour, you are sure to feel at home when dining at Harriet’s.
- Pat’s Tap – If you’re looking for a place to grab a burger and beer in a laid-back atmosphere, head to Pat’s Tap on Nicollet. Enjoy your food and drink with a game of skee-ball or darts inside, or on their expansive patio when the weather is nice.
- Hola Arepa – What started as a popular food truck has now expanded into a popular dine-in restaurant serving up authentic and delicious Mexican fare. If you go, make sure you order the arepas (cornmeal cakes filled with meat & cheese), as they are the specialty of this festive Latin eatery.
- Victor’s 1959– A vibrant spot serving authentic Cuban eats. With a charming patio and unique decor, Victor’s is a great place to warm up in the winter, and relax in the summer.
- Bower Boutique – Bower Boutique offers sophisticated casual women’s clothing and artisanal quality jewelry, accessories and art as one of the Kingfield neighborhood’s quaintest boutique shops.
- Twin Town Guitars – Twin Town is one of Minneapolis’ most well-known music stores. They buy, sell and repair musical instruments and offer music lessons to students of all ages.
- Larue’s – This eclectic store off of Lyndale Avenue offers fashionable clothing, jewelry, vintage-inspired bags and more.
- Joynoelle – This boutique shop caters to brides-to-be, and offers the signature line of Minneapolis-based designer, Joy Teiken.
- Lake Harriet – As a part of the Chain of Lakes, Harriet offers picturesque parks and paths, perfect for a variety of lakeside activities. Also, don’t miss out on summer concerts at Lake Harriet Park’s stunning bandshell.
- Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Park – This expansive park located on Nicollet features outdoor baseball, basketball, tennis and playground, plus an indoor recreation center.
Ready to call Kingfield home? If so, contact A.D. Hays Group today. We have more than three decades buying and selling homes in the Kingfield neighborhood. Our team of experts is ready to help you find the home of your dreams in an area that you love. We help you locate the best neighborhood for your needs, so you can have a place that truly feels like home. If you’re searching for a real estate expert in Minneapolis – contact us today. We here to provide you with the expertise you need!