When you are in the market for a home, finding the right house is just as important as determining the right location. The A.D. Hays Group is here to help with a guide to neighborhoods in Minneapolis and the surrounding areas. Contact us today if you find a neighborhood that feels like home or even to talk through the best options for your situation!
East Harriet Neighborhood – Minneapolis, Minnesota
The neighborhood of East Harriet is bordered by 36th Street on the north and 46th Street to the south. Lyndale Avenue is the eastern boundary; the neighborhood’s namesake, Lake Harriet and Lakewood Cemetery dominate the western border of the neighborhood.
Throughout East Harriet, you’ll find homes of all styles, with many two-story houses, set back from the streets. There are many renters in the area as well, so apartment buildings and shared housing is common.
Rent vs. Own
58% of properties in East Harriet are owned and 42% are rented.
As of January 2018, the median value of a home in the East Harriet Neighborhood is $375K (compared to $260K Minneapolis median), while the median list price is $378K (compared to $285K over the Minneapolis median). Over the past 12 months, the estimated home value grew by 8.2% in East Harriet.
3,200 people call the East Harriet neighborhood their home. The friendly and walkable area is growing in popularity, with a population increase of 6.4% since 2010.
There are a few schools located directly in the East Harriet neighborhood:
- Clara Barton Open School – Grades K-12
- Lake Harriet Montessori School – Grades Pre-K
- Fraser Academy – Grades K-5
- Stonebridge World School – Grades K-5
Restaurants, Shopping and Recreation
With the many local dining, shopping and recreational opportunities in East Harriet, you won’t need to travel far to find food, fun and entertainment. Additionally, if you ever get bored of the immediate options, it’s just outside of Uptown and only a few miles outside of Downtown Minneapolis, so there’s never a shortage of things to do.
Below are a few of the more popular dining, shopping and recreation options in the East Harriet neighborhood.
- Tenant Restaurant – This cozy eatery offers up a pre fixe menu of delicious seasonal, New American fare, plus plenty of wine and beer options.
- Bread and Pickle – For the best waterfront meals on Lake Harriet, head to Bread and Pickle. Choose from a variety of American menu items like burgers, lobster rolls and snacks.
- Harriet’s Inn – As one of the newer restaurants in the area, Harriet’s has carved out a reputation for delicious pub food and a huge beer list. Head to Harriet’s for the best comfort food in the neighborhood.
- Cafe Ena – If you’re in the mood for something non-traditional, head to Cafe Ena, where creative Pan-Latin meals are the draw at this neighborhood eatery with a patio and vibrant atmosphere.
- Farmstead Bike Shop – Tucked away on Bryant and 40th street, this small bike shop has everything you need to hit the road on two wheels and more. In fact, this shop doubles as a local community center of sorts, offering movie nights and brewery rides that anyone can join-in on.
- Larue’s – Larue’s is an eclectic store off of Lyndale Avenue, offering fashionable clothing, jewelry, vintage-inspired bags and many more unique items.
Entertainment and Recreation Options:
- Lyndale Farmstead Park – This bustling park located in the heart of East Harriet has family-friendly amenities including a playground, paths for walking and biking (plus a bike pump), as well as tennis and basketball courts, and baseball fields which are turned into hockey rinks during the winter. The recreation center located on the park grounds offers programs and year-round activities for youth ages 5-21.
- Lyndale Farmstead Dog Park – In addition to a normal park, there’s also a dog park located in Lyndale Farmstead Park. Let your dog off the leash and let him run free in the fenced-in grounds.
- Lake Harriet – Whether you want to bike, canoe, swim, suntan, enjoy music at the bandshell or anything else, Lake Harriet is one of the best recreational spots in the city. The path around the lake offers approximately three miles of walkable and bikeable trails, while the picturesque Lake Harriet Bandshell is the signature venue for the Minneapolis Music and Movies in the Parks concert series.
- Lyndale Park Rose Garden – This spectacular Rose Garden is the second oldest public rose garden in the United States, and showcases 3,000 plants in 100 different varieties. It sits on 1.5 acres located near the Northeast corner of Lake Harriet.
Ready to call East Harriet home? If so, contact A.D. Hays Group today. We have more than three decades buying and selling homes in the East Harriet neighborhood. Our team of agents is ready to help you find the home of your dreams in an area that you love. We help you locate the best neighborhood for your needs, so you can have a place that truly feels like home. If you’re searching for a real estate expert in Minneapolis – contact us today. We’re here to provide you with the expertise you need!
image via streets.mn