When you are in the market for a new home, finding the right house is just as important as determining the right location. The A.D. Hays Group is here to help with a guide to neighborhoods in Minneapolis and the surrounding areas. Contact us today if you find a neighborhood that feels like home or even to talk through the best options for your situation!
Downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota
The thriving heart of Minneapolis is its downtown area, where there’s never a shortage of lively happenings. Downtown is part of a larger community known as Central Minneapolis which consists of six smaller neighborhoods, including the downtown area. The six neighborhoods that makeup Central Minneapolis include:
- Downtown East
- Downtown West (where most of the high-rise office buildings are located)
- Elliot Park
- Loring Park
- North Loop (commonly referred to as the Warehouse District)
- Stevens Square/Loring Heights
In downtown Minneapolis, you won’t find many single-family homes – at least within an affordable price range – instead, condos and high-rise apartments are the main types of homes in this area.
Rent vs. Own:
25% of properties in downtown Minneapolis are owned and 75% are rented.
As of January 2018, the median value of a home in the downtown area is $305K (compared to $260K Minneapolis median), while the median list price is $490K (compared to $285K over the Minneapolis median). Over the past 12 months, the estimated home value in downtown Minneapolis saw considerable growth of 25.5%.
32,400 Minneapolis residents live in the downtown area, making it the most populous part of the city. As the area continues to flourish with new building projects like Nicollet Mall and U.S. Bank Stadium, the population has flourished with it, growing 12.5% since 2010.
There are many schools accessible to the downtown Minneapolis area, including:
- Fair School Downtown (K-12)
- Lincoln International School (9-12)
- Augsburg Fairview Academy (9-12)
- Armatage Elementary School (PK-5)
- Southwest Senior High School (9-12)
- South Senior High School (9-12)
- Barton Open Elementary School (K-8)
Downtown Minneapolis is a bustling hub, with accessible public transportation, convenient bike paths and plenty of sidewalks. While many people still commute to work by car, almost an equal amount choose to walk or take public transportation instead. In addition, you won’t need to travel far with the many local shopping, dining and recreational opportunities in downtown Minneapolis.
Restaurants, Shopping and Recreation:
Located in the heart of Minneapolis, downtown has plenty to offer in terms of dining, shopping and recreation. Below are a few of the more popular options.
- Bar La Grassa – Located off Washington Ave., this acclaimed Italian eatery offers delicious pastas, small plates and an expansive wine list in a vibrant space.
- Monte Carlo – The Monte Carlo in Minneapolis features dishes from steaks and chops to seafood and their famous chicken wings in a relaxed surrounding.
- Butcher and the Boar – If you’re looking for a hearty meal and a strong drink, head to this bustling American eatery, which features a meat-focused menu. Enjoy a craft brew or bourbon in their quaint beer garden.
- Dakota Jazz Club – If you’re in the mood for a good meal and live music, check out the Dakota Jazz Club, where you’ll find an intimate cabaret setting with music every night, plus full-service American fine dining and cocktails.
- Bachelor Farmer– Nordic dishes in a rustic-chic setting. Dishes change seasonally so expect to see new samplings each time you dine. Post dinner, swing down to Marvel Bar for craft cocktails in a speakeasy vibe. Insider’s tip: Try the Oliveto for an extra special treat!
- Nicollet Mall – This bustling downtown area has been home to the city’s most dynamic shopping options for decades. It’s recent remodel has enhanced the experience for visitors, workers and the area’s growing residential population. The area features several shopping options, including:
- Gaviidae Common – This shopping mall, office complex and athletic wellness center in downtown Minneapolis offers plenty of shopping options. You can find both national retailers in the mall, including Walgreens, St. Croix (store), freshii and Caribou Coffee, along with local retailers such as R.F. Moeller Jewelers, Juut Salonspa, Indulge & Bloom and Cocoa & Fig.
- Saks Fifth Avenue – This posh department store carries all the latest designer apparel, shoes and accessories, plus home goods and much more.
- Minneapolis Skyway System – This is the largest, contiguous system of enclosed, second level bridges in the world, composed of roughly eight miles of pathways connecting 80 city blocks. With plenty of places to eat, shop and drink, as well as access to Orchestra Hall, Target Center and Target Field, you’ll never run out of things to explore in the Skyway.
- Professional Sports – U.S. Bank Stadium, Target Field and Target Center all offer plenty of professional sports options. Go watch the Vikings, Twins, Timberwolves and Lynx give it their all!
- Guthrie Theater – If you take a walk down North Washington Avenue, you’ll notice the iconic Guthrie Theater along the bank of the Mississippi. Grab tickets for one of their acclaimed productions or take a walk up to their scenic lookout to take in the view of the great river valley below.
- First Avenue – This downtown music club, made famous by musician Prince, is a must-see for any music lover. You can see all types of musical acts here, from national touring artists to local indie bands and more.
- Mississippi National River & Recreation Area – In the middle of a bustling downtown, this 72-mile river park offers plenty to do for the outdoor enthusiast, from canoeing to birdwatching to bicycling and hiking.
Ready to call downtown Minneapolis home? If so, contact A.D. Hays Group today. We have more than three decades buying and selling properties in the downtown area. Our team of experts is ready to help you find the home of your dreams in a neighborhood that you love. We want to provide you with a place that truly feels like home. If you’re searching for a real estate professional in Minneapolis – contact us today. We here to provide you with the expertise you need!