When you are in the market for a home, finding the right house is just as important as determining the right location. The A.D. Hays Group is here to help with a guide to neighborhoods in Minneapolis and the surrounding areas. Contact us today if you find a neighborhood that feels like home or even to talk through the best options for your situation!
Armatage Neighborhood – Minneapolis, Minnesota
Armatage is a neighborhood in southwest Minneapolis. Located in the southwest corner of the city, the neighborhood is bounded on the north by 54th Street West, on the east by Logan Avenue South, on the south by Highway 62, and on the west by the city limits at Xerxes Avenue South.
The majority of home types in the Armatage neighborhood are made up of mostly single-family housing and some multifamily buildings. The great majority of housing was built between 1949 and 1969, while about 5 percent of the dwellings were built before World War II.
Rent vs. Own
83% of properties in the Armatage neighborhood are owned and 17% are rented.
As of April 2018, the median value of a home in the Armatage neighborhood is $288,702 (compared to $260K Minneapolis median), while the median rent is $1,080.
5,387 Minneapolis residents call the Armatage neighborhood home.
There are many schools accessible to residents living in Armatage:
- Southwest Senior High School (9-12)
- Armatage Elementary School (PK, K-5)
- Kenny Elementary School (K-5)
- Barton Open Elementary School (K-8)
- Dowling Elementary School (K-5)
Restaurants, Shopping and Recreation
With the many local shopping, dining and recreational opportunities, you won’t need to go far to find what it is you need in the Armatage neighborhood. The retail space in the neighborhood consists of individual neighborhood stores and is mostly located along Penn Avenue South. Take a look at the many dining, shopping and recreation options below:
- Pizzeria Lola – This fairly new pizzeria has made a huge impact on the taste buds of locals, becoming a quick favorite in the Armatage area. A modern setting with patio seating, Pizzeria Lola offers creative wood-fired pies with Korean flair and global wines.
- Cafe Vin – Steak frites, escargots and other French fare at this cozy, low-lit spot in the heart of the Armatage neighborhood. This cafe is one of the best-kept secrets in the city, offering up an award-winning wine list and new-American flavors.
- Kwan’s Chinese Cuisine on Penn – Kwan’s is a casual Chinese eatery with takeout options, serving up delicious dinners with specialties such as wontons, fried rice and chow mein. If you’re craving Chinese, Kwan’s is a local staple.
- Book Club – This restaurant offers West Coast Inspired dishes, from chefs Kim Bartmann and Asher Miller. Head to Book Club for locally farmed and sustainable foods for lunch, dinner, and brunch, as well as craft cocktails, local craft beer and an extensive wine list.
- Red Wagon Pizza Company – This bustline pizza parlor offers a refined atmosphere with inventive New American thin-crust pies and an extensive list of craft beers.
- Wagner’s Garden Center – Wagner’s Greenhouses operates a local garden center off of Penn Ave in the Armatage neighborhood. If you have a green thumb, Wagner’s is nationally recognized for its wholesale young plants and finished plants.
- Settergren Ace Hardware – Settergren’s isn’t just a hardware store. It’s a friendly, old-fashioned, greet-you-at-the-door, high service, customer-first, get-what-you-need neighborhood hardware store.
- Lake Harriet – As a part of the Chain of Lakes, Lake Harriet offers plenty of recreational opportunities, whether you want to bike, hike, take a swim or go paddleboarding, among other lakeside activities. Also, don’t miss out on summer concerts at Lake Harriet Park’s stunning bandshell.
- Armatage Summer Festival – The Armatage Summer Festival is a family-friendly event held in partnership with Armatage Park and the Armatage Neighborhood Association (ANA). Attracting over 2,000 area residents, attendees can enjoy live music, food vendors, a collector car show, raffle and fun and games for kids of all ages.
- Minnehaha Creek – Picturesque Minnehaha Creek is located on the north side of Armatage, offering easy access to the bike and walking trails that line its banks.
Ready to call Armatage home?
If so, contact A.D. Hays Group today. We have more than three decades buying and selling homes in the Armatage neighborhood. Our team of experts is ready to help you find the home of your dreams in an area that you love. We help you locate the best neighborhood for your needs, so you can have a place that truly feels like home. If you’re searching for a real estate expert in Minneapolis – contact us today. We here to provide you with the expertise you need!